Job Opening: Food Bank and Volunteer Coordinator
(1 year parental leave)
We are looking for someone awesome to join our team and fill in for our wonderful Food Bank and Volunteer Coordinator while she in on parental leave. This position is responsible for the day-to-day operations of Parkdale Food Centre’s busy Food Bank and Drop-in Meals. The Coordinator works in collaboration with a team of staff and volunteers, engaging neighbours and program participants and providing support in a safe and healthy environment that is respectful and dignified. This position requires experience working in a challenging environment, handling high volume of participants with multiple demands, de-escalating conflict, managing and intervening during crisis. The Coordinator will ensure that service delivery is guided by our Good Food Policy and it reflects the mission, vision and values of organization.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide welcoming, safe and dignified services to neighbours accessing our on-site programming.
- Engage with participants with a trauma informed approach
- Place weekly food orders
- Support neighbours in food bank, and during drop-in meals by providing referrals, information on community resources and connecting them to appropriate services
- Work with team managing and intervening when crises arise; actively support neighbours by de-escalating behavior in a way that is compassionate and firm, and ensures that safety is upheld
- Develop and deliver on-boarding and training materials which support the success and effectiveness of volunteers and volunteer activities.
- Make sure volunteer shifts are up to date and sign-in procedures are followed
- Supervise up to 50 volunteers; ensuring volunteers are appropriately engaged with participants and responding to any conflict
- Send out weekly volunteer newsletter
- Work with Coordinators to create a range of opportunities for Volunteers within programming and the community.
- Assist Managers and Coordinators to recruit, screen, orient, train and monitor volunteers to ensure effective participation in programming.
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities.
- Frontline work experience in a social service environment.
- Excellent crisis intervention, prevention and de-escalation skills, conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to respond quickly and use good judgment in challenging, unusual and/or emergency situations
- Previous experience working with people who are homeless, dealing with addiction, poverty and mental illness.
- Ability to work in a fast paced demanding environment.
- Commitment to food security, social justice
- Knowledge of social services and community resources.
- Sensitivity to and experience working with diverse individuals, communities, agencies, staff and organizations
- Experience organizing volunteers and acting in a leadership role
- Certification in crisis intervention, safe food handling and/or first aid is an asset.
This position requires regular evening work on Tuesdays until 8:00pm
This position requires working with people who are homeless, dealing with addiction, poverty and mental illness.
This position is physically demanding. The coordinator is required to stand for extended periods of time, lift heavy objects on a regular basis, and interact with lots of people with few breaks.
Starting date and Application process
This is a year-long position, 4 days/week, starting Monday June 17th, 2019. To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter to Alissa by May 31st (email@example.com).