Youth Engagement Coordinator (Part-time)
The Youth Engagement Coordinator role is a part-time role, 21 hours/week; salary will be commensurate upon experience and prorated from $45,000- $50,900. Parkdale Food Centre (PFC) provides paid sick leave, paid professional development and a generous health plan.
This position will be based from home. Safe attendance (following COVID-19 protocols) at the Parkdale Food Centre (PFC) and off site locations, when COVID 19 lockdowns are NOT in place will be expected.
Hours are required regularly on evenings and weekends for program facilitation and events. Program runs 2 times a year for 4 month sessions, between program sessions hours are flexible.
Are you a creative, motivated person with an entrepreneurial spirit?
Do you love working with youth?
Do you believe entrepreneurship can be used as a tool to help youth build confidence and skills?
If you answered ‘Yes!’ to all of these questions, please keep reading!
Thirteen A Social Enterprise (13:ASE) is a dynamic entrepreneurial program for youth run out of the Parkdale Food Centre in Ottawa Ontario, Canada. 13:ASE engages youth facing barriers, primarily low-income and new Canadians, in the operation of a social enterprise that produces and sells spice blends linked to the cultural backgrounds of participants. Engaging youth participants in all aspects of the business development and growth in a collaborative, safe space, 13:ASE provides youth with opportunities to make business decisions and lead events and projects. Ultimately, this program is aimed at helping youth gain strong emotional and social skills, foster community belonging as well as confidence in themselves and their future.
The Parkdale Food Centre is a registered not-for-profit charity staffed by a dedicated team and supported by passionate volunteers. We rely on a network of community partners who share our vision of an Ottawa where everyone has the means and opportunity to live a healthy, connected, and fulfilling life. Our mission is simple: to build healthier, more connected Neighbours and neighbourhoods through good food, community partnerships and challenging inequalities to create lasting impacts, 13:ASE is also governed by these principles. PFC is dedicated to equal opportunity and strives to employ individuals who are representative of the community we serve.
The Youth Engagement Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of Thirteen’s business activities, as well as developing our capacity for growth.
The Coordinator will be responsible for business development; nurturing strategic partnerships, managing business to business relationships, developing social media content and creating engaging projects with the youth team.
The Youth Engagement Coordinator will report to: 13:ASE Program Manager and Centre Manager
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitating entrepreneurial training modules for participants
- Mentorship and training of youth mentors
- Ongoing youth engagement
- Collaborate closely with the Program Manager to develop business/program goals and activities.
- Develop engaging, hands-on learning experiences with the youth team
- Coordinate workshops
- Plan events
Business Administration & Support
- Develop new business relationships and communicate with ongoing clients
- Monitor incoming orders and make deliveries
- Book and coordinate events
- Coordinate social media platforms and develop content (Instagram, twitter, facebook)
- Manage customer inquiries and communications (responding to emails, developing a newsletter)
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 2 years related work experience is an asset
- Business or Marketing degree/diploma or equivalent work experience
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Experience with youth from diverse backgrounds and awareness of immigrant and ethno-cultural issues in Ottawa
- Experience in anti-racism and/or anti-oppression work and/or advocacy
- Experience facilitating group trainings
- Familiarity with the non-profit sector and employment training programs/services
- Strong organization, time management, communication (oral and written) problem solving, and leadership skills are required
- Literacy of Google Suite
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check (Parkdale will cover the cost)
- French- English Bilingualism
- Familiarity with Shopify or other website development platforms
- Direct experience developing and operating a social enterprise is an asset
- Ability to sort and analyze data (Microsoft Excel)
- Available to work regular evenings and weekends to support activities and events
***** The Parkdale Food Centre is committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage and welcome applications from all of our communities. If at any stage in the selection process you require special accommodation, please let us know the nature of your requirement. The Parkdale Food Centre is an equal opportunity employer who values the diversity of individuals in our programs and services.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a CV and cover letter (1 document please!) to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30th.
***** The Parkdale Food Centre is committed to diversity and inclusivity. We encourage and welcome applications from all of our communities. If at any stage in the selection process you require special accommodation, please let us know the nature of your requirement. Interested applicants are requested to submit a CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com by March 1st, 2021.