Thank you for your interest in the Parkdale Food Centre! The first step to becoming a volunteer at PFC is to attend a Volunteer Orientation (anyone under 18 also needs to have their parent or guardian attend the orientation). At the session you will be given a tour of the Centre, learn about how we operate and be given instruction on policies and procedures; you will also learn about other volunteering opportunities in the neighbourhood from our partners. Register below.
As a volunteer you become an ambassador for PFC in your community. Together our team recognizes that:
- Nutritious, wholesome food is a basic human right, and is fundamental to building positive physical, mental, and emotional health.
- Everyone, regardless of their economic means, age, gender, abilities, or ethnicity, deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
- A physically and emotionally safe environment is key to building strong communities.
- Positive social change happens one person at a time.
- Partnerships create strong communities.
- It is our responsibility to challenge inequalities and raise awareness.
- Creativity and innovation are to be encouraged and embraced.
- Engaged staff and volunteers are vital to our success
- Being a leader, and encouraging leadership in others, will create momentum and growth.
There are many volunteer opportunities at PFC – you make the most of it! Most of our regular shifts are during the day time, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9am-3pm, during which you may be involved in helping with any of the following activities:
- Preparing food orders
- Unloading deliveries
- Sorting and packaging food
- Shopping with our neighbours
- Lending a listening ear
After hours, many volunteers participate in fundraising and community events, or serve on our advocacy committee.
Volunteers can also create their own place at PFC, and often this is most rewarding. Love helping with resumes? Have a knack for social media and blog writing? Creating resources? Tell us!
We have suspended volunteer orientations and volunteering at Parkdale Food Centre during the Covid-19 pandemic.
We look forward to coming back together as soon as we can.
If you have a specific question about volunteering, feel free to email us: email@example.com