Thank you for your interest in the Parkdale Food Centre! With the Global Covid-19 pandemic a lot has changed for us and our dedicated volunteers at PFC, but we have worked very hard to ensure that when our valued volunteers return or join us for the first time it is done safely.
We have many new protocols and procedures in place to ensure our centre is safe. We require all volunteers to attend a virtual meeting before volunteering with us. The meeting reviews our organization and our mission, our Covid-19 response and our current volunteer needs. At this time we have postponed any new volunteer onboarding, but hope to resume in the fall.
Covid-19 Information and Resources for Volunteers
- Self-Access prior to every volunteer shift
- Strictly adhere to physical distancing guidelines laid out by Ottawa Public Health, 2m apart even when wearing a mask!
- Disinfect high touch surfaces frequently (eg. shopping carts, tables)
- Minimize touching your face
- Volunteers are required to wear a mask, or face cover (nose and mouth) throughout the entire shift
- Wash your hands frequently (best) or use hand sanitizer frequently
- Stay home if you are feeling sick!
OTTAWA PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES
- Book a vaccine
- When should I get tested?
- Frequently asked questions
- Covid-19 symptoms
- Learn about proper hand hygene
- Being covidWISE
- Masks and facecoverings
- What is physical distancing?
As a volunteer you become an ambassador for PFC in your community. Together our team recognize that:
- Nutritious, wholesome food is a basic human right, and is fundamental to building positive physical, mental, and emotional health.
- Everyone, regardless of their economic means, age, gender, abilities, or ethnicity, deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
- A physically and emotionally safe environment is key to building strong communities.
- Positive social change happens one person at a time.
- Partnerships create strong communities.
- It is our responsibility to challenge inequalities and raise awareness.
- Creativity and innovation are to be encouraged and embraced.
- Engaged staff and volunteers are vital to our success
- Being a leader, and encouraging leadership in others, will create momentum and growth.
There are many volunteer opportunities at PFC – you make the most of it! Most of our regular shifts are during the day time, Monday – Thursday from 9am-3pm, during which you may be involved in helping with any of the following activities:
- Preparing food orders
- Unloading deliveries
- Sorting and packaging food
- Shopping for our neighbours @ PFC
- Delivering Grocery Orders
After hours, many volunteers participate in fundraising and community events, or serve on our advocacy committee.
Volunteers can also create their own place at PFC, and often this is most rewarding. Love helping with resumes? Have a knack for social media and blog writing? Creating resources? Tell us!